2005-07-29

No good deed . . .

Well, last night I spent 3-hours with my wife helping do research for her on a paper for school. The subject: Ethical Implications of the Sale of Free Drug Samples by Health Care Providers. With her paper nearly complete, we retired to bed late last night. Little did we know what would await us the next day...

Today we were taking the boys to Orlando for a weekend mini-vacation, celebrating my older son's 7th birthday. We brought the laptop along in the hopes of my wife being able to do some banking (pay bills) and complete her paper in the hopes of an early Sunday submission. Simple plan? Think again.

During the course of packing, I grabbed the laptop to shut it down and pack it away, but to my horror, I discoverd that it had been badly infected by spyware in the course of MY, yes, MY web-surfing the prior night! The hint was the 10-billion pop-ups on my screen and the fact that it took about 45-minutes to clear them and get the laptop turned off.

I spent the next hour and a half in the passenger seat of my SUV trying to get the nasties off my machine, all the way to the hotel. It eventually took every free moment in our hotel room during my 3-day weekend to clean it off. The Omni at Champion's Gate is a terrific place to vacation, by the way. Anyway, it took a combination of Spybot Search & Destroy, Adaware SE, and MS Anti-Spyware (beta) to clean it off with several reboots into safe-mode.

There are few fates worse for a SysAdmin than cleaning spywareware from your wife's computer. To quote Bill the Cat, "Aaack! Phhht!"

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awesome Blog! I added you to my bookmarks. My site is on corvettes if you would like to come and give me a review!

addaware se said...

TheGecko, today I was looking for a nice blog
experience on adaware and I found your website.
this post wasn’t exactly what I was looking for but it
did get my attention and interest. I see why I arrived
on your excellent website when I was searching for
adaware related information and I’m glad I did
even though its not an exact fit. Let me contribute
to your website by leaving you with one of my favorite
quote from Thomas Jefferson: "To err is human - and to
blame it on a computer is even more so. - Robert Orben
Informative Post, thanks for the read and nice
experience.

addaware se said...

Hey there TheGecko, I was looking for an educational
blog experience on addaware se and I found your
blog-site. this post isn’t exactly what I was
searching for but it did get my and interest. Now I
know why I found your excellent blog-site when I was
looking for addaware se related information and I’m
glad I did even though its not an exact find. Great
Informative Post, thanks for the read and educational
experience. Well let me contribute to your blog-site
by leaving you with my all time favorite quote from
Clifford Stoll: " Treat your password like your
toothbrush. Don't let anybody else use it, and get a
new one every six months. Clifford Stoll

adaware said...

Hello TheGecko, I’m just searching the web for the
next big thing on spybot and noticed your great
site. Although No good deed . . . wasn’t actually what I was
looking for it DID get my attention and interest. I
see now why I found your great website when I was
searching for spybot related information and I’m
thankful I found your blogsite even though its not an
exact match. Excellent Post, thanks for the read
(It’s a keeper), One last thing, here’s a great quote
from Doug Larson - "Home computers are being called
upon to perform many new functions, including the
consumption of homework formerly eaten by the dog." -
Doug Larson

addaware se said...

Hey there TheGecko, I was looking for an educational
blog experience on adaware and I found your
blog-site. No good deed . . . isn’t exactly what I was
searching for but it did get my and interest. Now I
know why I found your excellent blog-site when I was
looking for adaware related information and I’m
glad I did even though its not an exact find. Great
Informative Post, thanks for the read and educational
experience. Well let me contribute to your blog-site
by leaving you with my all time favorite quote from
Clifford Stoll: " Treat your password like your
toothbrush. Don't let anybody else use it, and get a
new one every six months. Clifford Stoll